Monday, July 16, 2012

I See It

I was adopted when I was 6 weeks old.  I can't remember a time I didn't know this.  As a child, I was proud of it and told anyone and everyone.  I felt special because of it.  I had the 2 perfect parents for me. 

I never felt a great need to find my birth parents, as I had the greatest parents and no real desire to possibly complicate my life.  But I had always wondered how it would feel to sit across from someone and see some of my features.  Where did I get my nose?  Color of hair?  Dimple?

So, when I was pregnant with Alyssa, I began looking forward to seeing someone with my DNA for the first time.  And then Alyssa came out looking EXACTLY like Darren.  So much so that Darren and I could be separated at a store or event where I would be holding Alyssa and strangers would say "I know who the daddy is!" after seeing Darren.  It seemed like I would have to wait a bit longer to see some of my features in another person.

When Jackson was born, I cried.  He had the same divot in his chin and single dimple that I did.  There it was, a genetic feature like mine! 

As the kids have grown, they look more like themselves than Darren or me, but once in a while I see the resemblance and it takes my breath away.  Someone who has my features.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment