Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Move- 1 Year Update

In early June, I drafted this blog post:

In some ways, it feels like we've lived in Austin forever and in others, we still feel like newbies.  This week marks the 1 year anniversary of our move. 

Coming into the move, we knew it was the best for our family, and it has been.  But the experience has varied for each of us.  It was a great move for Darren (job) and Matthew (school).  It was a bit of a wash for Alyssa and Jackson. And it wasn't a good move for me (oh, how I miss teaching!).  We assumed all of that going into the move and that is pretty much how it has shaken out. 

But I never posted that blog.  I didn't want to post the negative, because deep down I really wasn't feeling that way.

Though this move wasn't good for me, at that moment, in my heart, I thought that it might have been the best thing for me. If we'd stayed in Houston, I would have continued to teach part time at the college indefinitely.  I loved it.  Moving required me to think about my life, my future, in a new way. Since I knew I loved teaching, I spent some time in the high school volunteering and observing, to see if I liked the high school atmosphere. (Yes!)  So, I began the process to get certified to teach high school.  And now, here I am, teaching high school! 

Though it has been an exhausting start, I am finding my groove.  I love being in the classroom!  I couldn't be happier. I feel like myself again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment