Thursday, May 20, 2010

What Would You Do

Last night as I flipped channels, I stopped upon ABC’s 20/20 What Would You Do?, catching the beginning of a segment where they test how shoppers react when a customer calls a sacker with down syndrome “retarded”. A 2 min 43 sec clip can be found here. The entire 8 min 25 sec segment can be found here under 'Who Stops Grocery Clerk Abuse?'.

I cried during this segment, and I now tear up every time I think about it. I cry, not because I fear someone will do that to my sweet Matthew, but because I’m so thankful that there are people in this world that will speak up for him and for all the other kids who are unique.

I’m embarrassed to say that I’m not sure I would have been one of those people 3 months ago. I would have thought that the offender was awful and an idiot, but I wouldn’t have wanted to confront a stranger. Now I know better. Now I’m hopeful that not only will I speak up and Darren will speak up, but that Alyssa and Jackson will always speak up. They will be better people because they have Matthew as a brother!

For those that already speak up, thank you! For those, like me, who were afraid to speak up, please consider standing up to protect my sweet Matthew and all of the unique. Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment