Wednesday, April 16, 2014

1 Year Post Op

A year ago this week, Matthew was at Texas Children's recovering from emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction caused by adhesions from a previous surgery.  Not enough time has passed to dull the memory of the days before and days following that surgery. As I flip back in the blog and read about it, I cry fresh tears.  I still vividly remember the fear of watching Matthew's heart rate go lower and lower as I wondered if it would just stop, as the doctors feared it would with his severe chemical imbalance.  Not only do I remember the fear, but also the shock of it.   We thought it was just a stomach bug.  How unexpected that trip to the ER, that surgery and that 12 day hospital stay.  Though it is not in the forefront of my mind very often, I am very aware that the unexpected could be just around the corner.

But, the beauty of that hospital stay was how quickly Matthew went from a shell to his full out self in what seemed like no time flat.  He has been full out ever since!

Time has dulled the big, but still visible scar.

1 comment:

  1. I used to keep up with your story but have gotten lost in my own life distractions. Today I was @ Texas Childrens Cy-Fair with my daughter and saw your sweet boys face on many lovely thank you notes. This was a little visit for us but reminded me of countless hours your family has spent in those halls. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete