Friday, June 17, 2011

Give Blood

I used to donate blood every 8 weeks (when I wasn't pregnant or nursing).   I loved it--it was easy and afterwards I would get a cookie and go get a burrito at Freebirds (my favorite) which was right across the street from the blood bank.  It was a treat, but even though I stopped nursing Matthew at his first birthday, I've just been lax about getting back in the routine of donating blood. 

I know the importance of donating blood-- it saved Matthew's life.  Those rocky moments I alluded to when Matthew had skull surgery were moments that Matthew almost bled out.  From what I gathered from the anesthesiologist, an artery in Matthew's head got nicked, which is not uncommon and is why they ask that we have directed donations ready.  The doctors had a hard time getting Matthew to stop bleeding. They pumped a unit and a half of blood into Matthew's little body as fast as they could, which stabilized his blood pressure and stopped the bleeding. We will forever be thankful to my dad and our friend Peter for their directed blood donation that saved Matthew!

If we hadn't the directed donation (or if Matthew had needed more or if it had been an emergency surgery), we would have relied on the kindness of strangers for that life saving blood.  Thankfully there are strangers who donate too.    

I know I need to be one of those people. I have good veins, I have the universal donation blood type (O-), and I can donate. There are kids having surgery, people who have been in accidents, boys/girls/men/women fighting cancer, and countless others who need that blood to live!  Right now, there is an 18 year old boy from our neighborhood with an artificial heart.  Jordan is awaiting a heart transplant at Texas Children's.  Through his fight, he's needed blood products.  And he's just one of thousands in the medical center today who may need blood so they can continue their fight. 

Today, there is a blood drive just a few blocks away, in Jordan's honor.  I'll be there with my pint... for Matthew, for Jordan, and for whomever might need it! 

1 comment:

  1. Post-script: I didnt donate blood Friday because the line was too long, which is a very good thing! They got over 50 pints of blood in the 4 hours (with only 4 or 5 beds in the mobile unit). I went to the local donation center on Saturday and was in and out in less than an hour (which included drive time).

    ReplyDelete