Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Humble Pie

I've been feeling pretty competent in my role as a mother of 3.  The kids and I have been on our summer schedule for several weeks, and after the rough 1st day, it has been pretty smooth.  We go to the pool, go to the grocery store, work on school work together, play hard, ride bikes, and generally have pretty good days together. 

But yesterday was the kind of day that keeps me humble.  I took all 3 kids to Jackson's eye appointment and I'm not sure I've ever been that unprepared or ruffled.  I was too short with the kids even though Alyssa and Jackson did pretty well.  Matthew was fussy, not wanting to be held and making all of us and those around him miserable.  The appointment took a lot longer than I anticipated (over an hour and a half), and the carrot to control the older kids (ice cream) didn't seem very smart an hour away from dinner.  Well, it wasn't and unfortunately not only did I have to pay the price of peeling the kids off the ceiling before bed but Darren did too.  (Sorry darling!)

It was a good reminder that I always have room to grow.  Mistakes were made, but lessons have been learned and hopefully not repeated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment