Friday, June 14, 2013

Grandma Kendall

When I was growing up, I used to think that my grandmother was frail.  She was very petite, and had limited use of her right hand because of polio she battled when she was young.  As a child, I thought that meant she was frail.

Seeing her with adult eyes and seeing it through our experiences with Matthew, I now know that though she might have looked frail, my grandma was so very strong.  She was a fighter, just not in the ways I imagined a fighter to look when I was young.  I never saw her raise her voice, but she spoke volumes. In her declining days, she fought the nurses when they wanted her to do something she didn't want to do.  This seemed to surprise everyone because she was tiny with a typically sweet disposition, but I wasn't surprised, she was a fighter. 

She loved beauty-- my walls are covered in her paintings.  And she always made me feel loved and cherished.  I was lucky to be her granddaughter.  

After 91 years, my grandmother passed away on Thursday.  She will be missed.

My grandmother and her twin.
May they rest in peace.

My grandparents were married almost 72 years.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment