Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Plan

Matthew is eating minuscule amounts at school (less than 2 oz all day). We struggle with his feedings at home, but have had months to figure out the tricks. I’m hopeful that the wonderful teachers will get him to eat soon.

I didn’t think I could feel much worse than when Matthew screams in pain in the middle of a bottle but I was wrong. Watching him from afar while he screams is worse. If I could have transported myself through the ethernet, I would have. My baby needs me! My heart hurts just thinking about it.

After the pure emotion of the moment, I’ve calmed down and we have a plan.

1. Give the meds time to work. He’s got a script for Zantac and for Bethanecol, and we’ve been giving him mylicon. Hopefully this triad of meds will do the trick.
2. One of us will go to daycare at lunch every day and feed him. That way he’ll have only 2 feeds at school without us. Hopefully we can get enough in him with the other 5 feeds during the day and the teachers can observe the tricks we've learned.
3. I’m going to stop watching the internet video of Matthew. I trust the school and the teachers to care for my sweet Matthew (as they have cared for my Alyssa and Jackson).

So, that’s the plan for now. We'll give it some time and re-evaluate. We pray for relief for Matthew and patience for us!

1 comment:

  1. Katie (& Darren):

    Apologies. I haven't been able to keep up with this over the last few weeks. Just wanted to drop you a quick note of support and love. Thanks for being the family you have to the boys and I and let us know if there is anything we can do from up here in Chi-Town. I can assure you that Jacob still says a special prayer for Matthew every night...infinity times, infinity times, infinity times, infinity times...until I tell him that's enough. Sorry, I hate to stop him, but we'd be up till the dawn if I didn't.

    Much love,
    Your cousins (Deron, Jacob and Kyle)

    ReplyDelete