Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Looking Forward

As we started planning for this cruise 6 months ago, Darren and I tried to guess where Matthew would be in his development for this adventure.  With Matthew, you can't just open a book about baby development and look up '18 months', as we would have if it had been Alyssa or Jackson. There is so much unknown about Matthew's journey and path.  

I'm happy to say that Matthew is doing everything I had imagined he would be by now by crawling on hands and knees (he hit that milestone on a consistent basis the week before the trip!) and even more by pulling up to stand and walking while supported.  

As we were coming back from the cruise, we stopped at a fast food restaurant, where working as a table attendant was a woman with special needs.  Darren and I both stared, trying to imagine 20 years down the road with Matthew.  Impossible.  I barely can imagine 6 months at a time, much less years and decades.  And thinking that far is just too overwhelming and too unknown.  Even if I could imagine it, previous life experiences have told me that it wouldn't look anything like what I imagined anyway!

For now, I'm just giddy watching our sweet baby Matthew crawl on his hands in knees...19 months in the making!


No comments:

Post a Comment