Monday, October 17, 2011

Really Good

Sometimes I forget how good we have it.  I get bogged down in the day to day, frustrated that Matthew is still predominately eating baby food, that Jackson seems to have some issues with his fine motor skills, that Alyssa's getting a little sassy, that I didn't structure my class properly and have to spend way too much time grading, and the like.  I forget that those things are all just little ripples in the water. I lose perspective. 

And then I'm reminded.  Like yesterday, we spent the afternoon at a festival for special needs kids.  I was reminded how lucky we are that Matthew is as high functioning as he is.  He's moving and communicating and shows joy! I was reminded how scared we used to be and how time and Matthew's continued development have dulled many of those fears. 

And today, as I called the Scottish Rite Hospital to begin the process to build Matthew's thumbs, I was reminded how scary life was just a year ago.  I remember thinking how crazy it was to go for the initial hand surgery consultation when we weren't even sure Matthew's heart would make it through his head surgery.  Not only did his heart make it through the head surgery, now Matthew's heart is healed and healthy.  Today, life is much calmer and a lot less scary. 

I'm so excited about Matthew's upcoming appointment with the Scottish Rite Hospital.  A year ago, I dreamed of the day that instead of worrying about life saving operations, that we could concentrate on making Matthew's quality of life better.  This surgery will do that!  Matthew uses his index fingers like thumbs.  Pollicization will put those fingers where he can use them best--in the thumb position, which will give him the pincher grasp, the key grasp, and a grip! The Texas Scottish Rite Hospital is an amazing place, full of hope.  I'm so thankful that Matthew was approved to be served there!  And I'm always so grateful to our family and friends, that have been so kind, supportive and loving through our journey.  We can never repay the debt of gratitude, but thank you!
Matthew uses his 'index thumbs' to open the cd drawers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment