Friday, October 21, 2011

Mid Term

Today is the end of Alyssa's 1st 9 weeks and also the mid-term for my classes.  Thankfully, I think we have adjusted to our new schedules and are into routine.  My random thoughts from these past 9 weeks--

-Alyssa loves school.  It is nice to see her have such enthusiasm about school.

-I love riding bikes with Alyssa to/from school.  She reminds me that the simple things are wonderful too.  She loves riding through the sprinklers, wearing her coat when its cold, riding through puddles, ducking under tree limbs.  Just today, she was sharing how much fun it was to run over the newspapers as we ride.  Um...sorry to our neighbors. 

-We see many of the same kids and parents going to/from school everyday.  Most we are getting to know, at least at a superficial level.  I'm perplexed by one of our neighbors who never smiles, or says good morning back...so out of character compared to the other parents/kids we see.  Just baffling.

-I love our new child care arrangements.  Jackson loves his new school and I think the increased concentration on academics is good for him.  I can't explain the difference in him, but it is huge.  He never complains about going to school, where before he would start dreading it on as soon as he finished for the day.  And Matthew seems to be doing so very well at home with our fantastic nanny who loves him and cares for him. 

-One of the highlights of the 9 weeks was having lunch with Alyssa at school.  It was neat to see her in her element and believe it or not, the food was really good.  We had nachos, with meat, beans, and cheese, and grapes, chocolate graham cracker and milk.  Alyssa takes her lunch 4/5 days a week but gets to choose which day to buy lunch.  So far, I think her favorite school lunch is the pizza.  I have fond memories of school pizza too.

-Alyssa was 'star student' of the week this week in her class.  She took a poster about herself-- with pictures of her family, her house, her dogs, her favorite things (legos, star wars, crayons, her doll), what she does best (riding her bike, swimming, caring for Matthew), and what she wants to do when she grows up (be a teacher).  The highlight of her week is that she gets to take something everyday for show and tell.  She took her bowling trophy, her barbie (after we found school appropriate clothes for her to wear), her jewelry box, and finally her favorite stuffed animal. 

-I was offered the same 3 classes I am teaching this semester for the Spring, but I accepted only 2 of them.  I think my max is teaching 3 days a week right now.  Between dropping 1 class (and 2 days of teaching) and having that class already prepared, next semester should be considerably less time consuming. 

-Overall... the first 9 weeks of this school year have been good!

Alyssa's Kindergarten Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment