Friday, May 10, 2013

Final Grades the Final Time

When we decided to move to Austin, Darren and I sat down for a heart to heart.  I am fully supportive of our move, and believe it is in the best interest of our family, but there are a few things about Houston I will greatly miss and may cause me to shed a tear or two.  On that list-- my job. 

I have had the privilege of teaching 2 courses- Intro to Sociology and Marriage and Family-at the local community college for the past 2 years. It has at times been challenging to balance work (even the part time teaching) with the demands of our family, but every day I stepped into the classroom, I knew I had found my place, my passion.  I loved it.  My students continually amazed (and sometimes frustrated) me and I knew it to be a perfect fit for me. 

And today is my last day.  I finished grading the finals that were completed on Wednesday, calculated their final grades, printed out the required paperwork, and turned in the grades and my key...for the final time for the foreseeable future.

As I walked out of the building, I paused at the classroom I spent so many of my Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays of the school year, now dark and empty. I did shed a tear.  I will miss that classroom, my students, that college.

I hope to find something equally as wonderful on the other side.  I have been looking for something in Austin, but haven't found the right fit just yet.  I have to believe that the right opportunity will present itself at just the right time.  If I haven't found it, it must just not be the right time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment