Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Years Are Short

There are those that mourn the passing of one developmental stage into another, and those that celebrate that transition.  I have always seen myself as a 'celebrater'. 

Examples: 
First day of kindergarten for Alyssa-- jumped for joy! (She was so excited-- how could I not?)
The first day of school this year-- so very exciting! (well, every year, but new schools this year!)
This first year with all 3 kids in the public school system-- time to celebrate! 
Matthew hitting every stage (walking, talking, using a spoon)--  over the moon!

Since I usually do celebrate that next step, I am surprised by the mournful feeling I have about the not-so-big transitions.  Alyssa wants to listen to Kids Bop on the radio instead of Disney or Sesame Street.  Jackson lost his first tooth, and now is starting to have the awkward older kid smile. No longer is the television of choice Mickey Mouse or Sesame Street or Super Why, but is Phineas and Ferb and Scooby-Doo.

These are just the most recent examples of the moments that make me remember that the years are short even though the days feel long.  I celebrate the kids getting older, more mature, more independent, but remember back with fondness (and a little sadness) of the little girl who said 'thankyouwelcome' as one word and the little boy who liked to play 'piddows'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment