Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Unkind

I know that kids are often unkind-- heck I see it in our house with the 3 kids-- and it can be for any reason at all.  I know this, but just because I know it, doesn't make it easier when someone is unkind to one of my kids.  I feel like I should add "especially Matthew" here.  I know kids are going to be unkind to him.  He is different. 

I saw kids being unkind to him this last Spring and thankfully Alyssa stood up for him and they stopped.  Unfortunately, it has happened twice more since we moved to Austin.  I don't know if it is indicative of the locale or the fact that Matthew is getting older and exposed to more people and potentially more teasing.  Either way, I hope that it doesn't keep happening at this accelerated rate.  My heart hurts when I hear or see it. 

The good news is that in the last incident (where kids were teasing him for not having thumbs!) not only did Alyssa stick up for Matthew but so did her new friend.  I am beyond grateful for that.  I wish we lived in a world without teasing, bullying and unkindness, but since we do, I am thankful that there are people willing to stand up against it. 

Where I found Matthew yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment