Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Family Resemblance

I think everyone who knows me well knows I was adopted when I was an infant. Growing up, I was always proud of being adopted, I had fantastic parents & being adopted made me a little unique. The only regret I ever had about being adopted is that I have never sat across from someone who looked like me. I could never say "I have her eyes or his nose or her hair."  

When I was pregnant with Alyssa, I would imagine how amazing it would be to see someone who has similar DNA as I do...for the first time ever!  And wouldn't you know it, Alyssa came out looking exactly like Darren!  There wasn't a bit of me in that baby.  She may have 1/2 of my DNA, but you couldn't tell it!  I didn't know then how strong the genes in Darren's family were, but since Alyssa, I'm now well aware.  We were even reminded recently, as Facebook has a feature that auto-tags pictures based on facial recognition.  Alyssa has been tagged as her Aunt Rachel and Darren's Grandfather was tagged as Darren.  Those are some strong genes! 

I had forgotten about my wish to see at least one of my features looking back at me until Jackson was born.  He was born with 1 dimple and a divot in his chin...both of which he got from me. I cried when I realized that he got those from me. For the first time ever, I saw it!

And then there was Matthew. I was a little sad when I read the 4Q article that said that kids with the 4Q chromosome duplication often look more similar to other kids with 4Q duplications than their own siblings.  But I'm finding that those Hoy/Stach/Richied genes are pretty powerful, even in my sweet baby Matthew with the extra 4Q chromosome.  I don't often notice the resemblance, but several medical professionals of late have commented on how Jackson, Matthew and Alyssa's features are similar.  That makes me happy!  

Lately, getting the 3 kids to look at the camera at the same time
is like putting cats in a bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment