Friday, September 30, 2011

"Lost My Job"

Jackson came home from preschool on Wednesday and said "I lost my job today".  After some questioning, I came to the bottom of the story.  Jackson was 'classroom helper' and was acting up while standing in line, so he was no longer classroom helper.  We had a discussion about the consequences of not following directions, but I had to bite my lip so as not to laugh.  His little 4 year old "I lost my job today" was just too much.  

I've been worried about Jackson for the last 6 months.  He seems to still be struggling with using a pencil, learning his letters, staying focused, and keeping his emotions in check.  We took him to get an evaluation for attention issues--and the diagnostician didn't think he had attention issues at this time.  She thought he might have some low level anxiety (not a huge surprise given his favorite Star Wars line is "I have a bad feeling about this"), and also may need an evaluation for speech and OT.  I'm curious as to what those evaluations will net.  Some days I believe that Jackson is a typical 4 year old and others I feel like he's falling behind.  It will be nice to have the professionals' opinions, and it will be good to address any issues if there are truly issues that need to be addressed.  

Today is Jackson's last day at his current preschool.  I'm a bit sad, as I will miss the relationships we have forged there, but Jackson and I are both excited about him starting his new school on Monday.  I hope that the increased structure and the change will be a good thing for Jackson.
 
Either way, I feel as though I need to do a better job of balancing the need to set Jackson up for success and just accepting Jackson for the kid he is.  It is a tough balance but I need to do a better job of just enjoying his wicked sense of humor and his loving spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment