Thursday, December 6, 2012

How Far

As Alyssa, Jackson, Matthew and I were in the car on the way home from picking up Jackson from school, I was reminded of how far we've come-- Matthew and our family. 

Alyssa was excited because her school is doing a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House, where if they donate $1 they can wear pjs to school.  She remembered that RMH was one of our favorite charities, but she couldn't remember why.  I explained that they helped us tremendously when Matthew was in the hospital when he was a baby.  She said she barely remembered that.  Tears welled up in my eyes.  It is a distant memory for me too.  Wow.  How very far we've come.  How amazingly far Matthew has come! 

2 years ago today was Matthew's craniosynstosis surgery.  I have never been more afraid of anything in my entire life.  I feared that the morning of December 6 might be the last day I would wake up with my sweet baby Matthew.  And if not for the blood donated by my dad and our friend Peter for that surgery and the quick action by our fantastic craniofacial surgeon and his team, Matthew probably wouldn't have made it out of the OR that morning. Thankfully, we have been blessed with 731 more days and hopefully countless more to come.

Every moment hasn't been rainbows and sunshine, and I may not always remember to be as grateful as we are.  Thank you, God, for the time we have been given!  Thank you for letting some of those scariest moments be distant memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment