Saturday, January 8, 2011

Delays and Rejoicing

Matthew's developmental delays are becoming more stark.  He's falling further and further behind.  The list of what he isn't doing but should be is getting longer and longer...he's not sitting up on his own for any length of time, he's not crawling, he's not pulling up on things, he's not holding his own bottle, he's not feeding himself, he's not babbling, etc.  It's a long and sad list. 

But there are big bright moments, small in the scope of the typical kid, but reasons for us to celebrate.  Matthew is starting to sooth himself.  He can put the paci back in his mouth, without help.  I feel like that is a huge win for us!  And just yesterday, while he was in the exersaucer, he reached out and played with the toys.  It's the first time he has actively seeked out a play toy.  Also not big for the typical kid, but a win for Matthew!  And I still get giddy when he gets up on his hands and knees and rocks for a few seconds. I can't imagine how exciting it will be when he crawls!

When I think of the long list, my heart aches but then it reminds me to rejoice in all of the small victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment