Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do-Over Type of Day

So, as we went to bed last night, I was hopeful Matthew's ailment would quickly go away without intervention.  After being awoken every hour through the night and Matthew waking up with a fever in addition to his cough and wheezing (though not labored breathing), we figured that this ailment wasn't going away on its own and it was time to take Matthew to the pediatrician. 

And the pediatrician says... yes, Matthew's lungs don't sound good.  We gave him a breathing treatment in the office and left with scripts for (1) breathing treatments at home every 4 hours for the next 2 days (2) steroids for the next 4 days (3) antibiotics for the next 10 days.  1 and 2 are to help his lungs and the 3rd is because he's considered 'medically fragile' and likely will have trouble fighting off anything else while he's recovering from this. 

When the doctor showed me how to use the nebulizer (for the breathing treatment), he commented 'Matthew is making sure you learn something new.'  Oh goodness, how true that is.  I now know a lot of things I never wanted to know because of Matthew!   I'll just add this to the list.

Then my day just got frustrating.  There is only 1 medicine for the breathing treatment that can be used with Matthew's heart condition.  Of course, that medicine is not covered by our insurance.  Then I came home to a HUGE bill from Texas Children's for occupational therapy that insurance should have covered, but didn't.  Then I called to cancel my COBRA insurance from last year, and after going through 5 minutes of menu options, I was told they were closed for the day and hung up on.  I was just DONE! 

But we got the huge bag of meds from the pharmacist and gave Matthew a dose of everything before putting him to bed.  Hopefully the meds will help Matthew recover quickly and thankfully tomorrow is a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment