Saturday, April 21, 2012

Simple Things

We not only take great joy in the hard earned victories (like Matthew walking) but also in the smaller, simpler things that go right as well.

Earlier this week, Matthew learned to climb into the kitchen chair on his own (and then up on the table).  And then he also figured out how to climb the stairs of the bunk bed.  He seemed to be thinking about it for a few weeks, and then on Tuesday, he just climbed all the way up, and then down, and then up, and then down.  He was so proud of himself.   



Speaking of the little things, when Matthew went to occupational therapy at TCH (~Fall 2010), we often had the same appointment time as a 5 year old girl who was learning self-care (brushing her hair, washing her hands, brushing her teeth, washing her body).  I remember watching her week after week struggle with those every day tasks.

So, I'm ultra excited when I see Matthew do those things (without OT).  He loves to brush his teeth (but hates it when we do it for him).  He brushes my hair and his every morning as I dry my hair (and he gives me big wet kisses then too).  And just recently he has begun to hold out his hand for baby soap so that he can rub it on his body during his baths. 

I know these are simple things, but Matthew has often struggled with the simple things.  Of course, he has a long way to go to perfect them, but I don't think he's going to need to spend week after week in therapy to do them.  We rejoice in all the victories...hard fought and not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment