Tuesday, August 10, 2010

2 Weeks Post-Surgery


Considering that 2 weeks ago today was Matthew’s surgery, he is doing remarkable.  He’s surpassed his pre-surgery eating volume and his eating time has been cut in half.   The doctor’s were skeptical that the surgery would improve his eating, but Matthew is proving again that he’s writing his own story. 
Since we returned from the hospital a little over a week ago, we’ve been concerned we traded one problem for another.  His eating has vastly improved, but Matthew stopped sleeping through the night.  Not fun for Mommy and Daddy.  We keep hoping it is just because he got used to the late night visitors (taking vitals) but out of the 7 nights he’s been home, he’s only slept through the night once.   Now I’m blaming his midnight waking on his head cold.  Poor kid can’t catch a break as he started fighting a cold yesterday.  Hopefully this will soon pass and he’ll sleep through the night once again.
As a little aside, I know that Matthew spoiled us by sleeping through the night early.  Alyssa didn’t until she was 6 months and Jackson was almost 8 months.  But now I am spoiled, and I adore sleep. I love sleep so much, I’d pay money to be in the fan club for sleep. It is by far one of my favorite things.  So, I would be very happy if Matthew figured out how to do that again. Though if I had to choose eating issues or sleep issues, I guess … hmm… I’d prefer to not choose.  I’d be happy with a baby that both eats AND sleeps.  I know I’m asking for a lot.
The older kids are doing great in their new rooms.  They love playing upstairs in their playroom and they have slept well in their separate rooms.  Darren remarked this evening how much quieter it is now that Alyssa and Jackson can’t talk and play with one another after bedtime.  Hopefully that translates into more sleep for them and fewer times we have to go in to shut down the jocularity.  All in all, the Hoy kids are doing really well.  For that, we are very grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment