Monday, August 2, 2010

Recovery Update- Morning 8/2


Things are starting to normalize for Matthew.  Just like before the surgery, he’s now getting fussy when he eats.  I was hoping the surgery would magically fix our feeding problems, but it doesn’t appear that way.  The good news is that he’s increasing his intake and he’s about 2/3 of the way to his typical amounts and his system is still working.  We are awaiting our surgeon’s opinion of what needs to happen now for us to be released.  I’m crossing my fingers that it will be later today. 
Urology came by this morning to double check all is well, and it is.  Plastics came by this morning too.  The hand surgeon believes that Matthew may be a good candidate for moving the index finger to a thumb position, but he likes to do the surgery at 4 years (instead of the 6-18 months that we had read).  We were advised to make a follow up appointment with him in a year to discuss further.  In the meantime, we’ll probably seek out a 2nd opinion about that.
I’m not sure what I expected from Matthew’s recovery, but whatever my initial thoughts were, this wasn’t it.  As with everything about Matthew, he’s not following the typical path and it is on his own timeframe.  I’m thankful he has continued to heal and he’s been taking his baby steps to full recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment