Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Road Tripping

On Saturday we took a road trip to College Station.  It was a beautiful day.  The kids napped on the drive.  The weather was perfect.  We all had a great time walking around the A&M campus...well, walking and running around campus.  Jackson would run ahead and run back as Darren and I walked and Alyssa pushed Matthew in his stroller.  We got some snacks at the old basketball arena (the student center is under renovation) and sat outside on a bench near my favorite building on campus (the Academic Building) while Jackson & Alyssa played chase with Darren and Mattie & I watched on.  It was a great day! 



On Sunday Matthew and I went on a road trip with my parents to Oklahoma for my great aunt's funeral.  My Aunt Alyce had been sick for sometime, and her passing wasn't unexpected.  Alyce is my grandmother's twin sister and was her best friend for the past 89 years.  For as long as I can remember, they lived either down the block or down the hall from one another.  After my great uncle's passing, it was always the 3 of them...my Grandma, my Granddad, and Aunt Alyce.  I can't imagine the hole in their lives, but I do know that Heaven is an even nicer place because Aunt Alyce is there.  I'm so thankful we went to support my grandparents.  And though we hated the reason, the trip was good.  I enjoyed spending the time with my parents and seeing my grandparents and extended family.  I felt like I was 15 again, riding in the back of the car going to Grandma's house.  Though looking over at Matthew, I was reminded I wasn't. 


Aunt Alyce and Grandma
At the service, there was still snow on the ground from their several feet earlier last week, but it was 65 degrees outside.  My kind of snow!  Matthew did well on the trip, and he liked all the attention from everyone at the retirement village. But he's still not sleeping well.  Now that we are home, we're going to keep trying the tricks to get him to sleep.  Everyone could benefit from a good night's rest!


My kind of snow- 60+ degrees outside


No comments:

Post a Comment