Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pit in Stomach

I'm often asked how glad we are that all the big surgeries are behind us and if we can finally take a deep breath.  My response is that I'm cautiously optimistic but think that it might be naive to believe we won't have any more surprises when it comes to Matthew. 

I haven't had a pit in the bottom of my stomach in a while.  It's been a few months since I've woken up in the middle of the night worrying about Matthew and his future.  I realized that as I was walking with Matthew around the neighborhood yesterday.  I then thought to myself that I should have waited to hear about the labs done at his 1 year checkup before I posted anything.  Nah, I thought, everything will come back normal.  Matthew has been doing so well!

When I got back from the walk, there was a message from the nurse asking for me to call her back.  Thinking to myself-- Why don't they just leave a message to say all is okay? If it was something bad, Dr. W would have called. What could it be?  I did this back and forth with myself for the 20 minutes I had to wait for the nurse to return my return phone call.

Matthew's CBC was normal, but he is leaking protein into his urine.  The pit in the bottom of my stomach is back. Thankfully we have our 6 month follow up with renal next Tuesday (3/8) where the nephrologist will run further tests and help us to figure out what is going on.   Matthew only has 1 kidney and we need to make sure it stays healthy and well.  Protein in the urine can indicate a host of things ranging from minor to serious, all of which are not something you want when you only have 1 kidney.  Our best hope is that it is nothing at all, a random event or false reading.

The roller coaster is tiring, we've been up for a while now and this curve took me off guard.  We are fervently praying this result is an anomaly. Every one has been so supportive and cared and prayed for our sweet baby Matthew for this past year and given us so much, but please continue to keep sweet baby Matthew and his one kidney in your thoughts and prayers.  We very much appreciate it and you!

No comments:

Post a Comment