Monday, February 13, 2012

Venting

In my St. Francis Prayer post, I was frustrated with the blanket statements that strangers sometimes say when seeing Matthew-- "oh, be glad he doesn't walk (or talk or read)".  Don't read too much into that post and think that I don't participate in parental venting, I do.  It was just this blanket statement that rubbed me wrong.  I wasn't frustrated with the parental venting about the parts about parenting that plainly stink.  I completely understand, agree with, and participate in that venting.  

Though we all should be grateful for our kids all the time, some moments and some days, it just isn't going to happen.  Some moments just aren't good, and sometimes a little time and perspective might allow us to reframe those moments and make us appreciate them, but sometimes not. 

I'm not a fan of the whining, the tantrums, the mouthiness, the bickering, and the like that my kids sometimes do.  Right now, Jackson is not managing his emotions well.  He gets easily frustrated and flips out. I cringe every time he puts on his shoes because 9 times out of 10 he'll freak out that they aren't tight enough, and it makes my blood boil.  And Matthew is hating to be confined, which is making putting him into his car seat, or going to the grocery store, or out to eat with him a complete nightmare. I miss my perfect little companion. And Alyssa is getting sassy, like a teenager.  Oh, it makes me fearful for her teen years. 

I appreciate that these things might be good in the long run, or developmentally appropriate, or not unusual for their age, but these things still stink.  After the ugly moments have passed, I may sometimes be able to reframe the moments-- like Matthew is hating to be confined because he's learning to walk!-- but it doesn't make it easier to handle in the heat of the moment. 

1 comment:

  1. I chuckle a little every time I read about Alyssa being sassy because I am not imagine it at all. The Alyssa I taught was the sweetest most well mannered child I even encountered. I would pay to see her act anything besides the perfect child that you want to clone and have a whole classroom like her. Jackson reminds me of my son a little with the shoes and emotions. It got better for us when Langston was almost 6 and now he talks about it or writes about it. I got him a journal to write about whatever is on his mind. Praying for you guys as always

    ReplyDelete