Saturday, October 9, 2010

ICU Update 8a 10/9

My brain is getting a little fuzzy from the lack of sleep, so I apologize if today's posts are rambling non sequiturs.  The random updates...

-Matthew has been off the oxygen for 12 hours now but his pulse oxygen levels drop and the alarm has gone off every 15 minutes throughout the night.
-His heart rate is still very low (50s) and a bit irregular.  Our cardiologist would like his heart rate to be a steady 80s/90s.  Hopefully its just that his heart is still figuring out its new pathway. 
-His blood pressure is still high (110/80 instead of 80/50).  They are hoping it will go down on its own w/o meds.  We'll wait and see.
-Matthew still doesn't seem to feel well.  He moans/cries the majority of the time he's awake and he's yet to crack even the smallest smile. 

-He is back on breastmilk, though still taking small amounts more frequently.
-They stopped his fluid IV because he's taking adequate volumes of milk, but it caused the IV to fall out.  He's unfortunately on IV meds so they had to reinsert.  I wasn't thinking straight in the middle of the night or I would have fought the reinsertion.  
-Now that I have had 4.5 hours of sleep, I let the day nurse know that they need to keep that IV line open or they need to move to oral meds as they will not be inserting a new IV if this one falls out. 
-I was not a fan of the night nurse, so was very excited for the day shift to come on at 7am.  Even if it means the return of Dr Mumbles.  
-I'm hopeful that today we'll move to the cardiac floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment