Friday, October 1, 2010

Germaphobia


I’ve always been a bit of a borderline germaphobe.  I remember realizing that I wasn’t a good example for my kids when I found myself yelling at them to not touch anything in public bathrooms.  “Hold your own hands and don’t touch ANYTHING!”  Not wanting to give my kids my psychological issues (at least not this particular one), I’ve tried to tone it down the last couple of years to varying degrees of success. 
With Matthew’s ailments and upcoming surgeries, I think I’m losing the germaphobe battle.  I’m ready to put Matthew in a bubble.  We are an affectionate family and now everyone is relegated to blowing him kisses.  No touching Matthew.  Antibacterial (in the diaper bag, the car, the bathrooms, my pocket, etc.) must be applied before getting near Matthew.  I wipe down anything that goes near Matthew.  I worry about going out because I don’t want either airborne germs or anyone touching Matthew.  Whew…I’ve become a full fledged germaphobe.
Before the last scheduled cath, Matthew was on house arrest and that didn’t do us any good.  Unfortunately, we don’t have to leave our house to be exposed to crud.  We think Alyssa brought in the last, long lasting ailment.  And Darren thought Jackson felt warm last night.  Oh no!  I contemplated packing up Matthew and heading to my folks house but this morning Jackson was just fine so Matthew and I will stay put (for now).
We had a pediatrician’s appointment today in preparation for next week’s heart catheterization.  The doctor today understood the need for my germaphobia.  We were whisked into an exam room instead of waiting in the waiting room, and we left out the back way.  Our pediatrician has come down with the yucks as well.  I shivered when I saw/heard him but felt a little better when he put on a mask before coming into the exam room and when he applied antibacterial twice during the exam. 
I’m thankful the anesthesiologist recommended this appointment, as Matthew does have a double ear infection which we can now treat in advance of the cath instead of finding it the day of the cath and having to postpone.  Add antibiotic to the long list of daily meds.  Monday we’ll add steroids as well, to help strengthen Matthew’s lungs. 
For the next 6 days I’m going to try to manage my over the top germaphobia and pray that Matthew gets/stays healthy enough for the procedure.  We are so thankful for the love, support, prayers and well wishes of our family and friends.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment