Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hope

Just when I fear that Matthew will be developmentally disabled in an area, rather than just developmentally delayed, he gives me hope.  The first example was walking. I had started to wonder if Matthew would ever walk.  At 1 year old, he wasn't putting any pressure on his legs.  But a month later he surprised me and started standing (assisted), which gives me hope that in time he'll walk. 

In the last post, I commented that Matthew is most delayed verbally.  I had started to wonder if he was going to be non-verbal.  Just last week, he was making only the same noises he has since he was a few months old.  Hard to explain in words, but it was a throaty cry.  Even his joyous noises and laughter sounded that way.  And then Matthew surprised me late this week by making new noises...no longer throaty, no longer like crying.  He's giving me hope that in time he'll talk.

Since Matthew started making these new noises, he has found his voice.  Oh has he! He is always making noise, loud noise.  And for the first time since he was born, he is annoying Alyssa and Jackson. "Shhhh Matthew. I can't hear!"  I keep trying to explain to Alyssa and Jackson that he needs to make these sounds.  That he is learning to talk.  That before he can ever say their names, he needs to learn how to make the sounds.  His yelling is a VERY good thing. 

I thought our life was crazy loud before...ha, I was wrong! And I can't be more thrilled about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment