Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Step Forward, Step Back

Matthew is still fighting with the strider.  I was hopeful yesterday was our turning point, but Mattie struggled through the night and this morning.  I do think he sounds better than he did at his worst, but he's about the same as when we arrived here.  The treatments still help, but you can hear his breathing within the hour and within an hour and a half can see him sucking in air and pushing it out (retraction).  And when he coughs, it takes him what feels like forever to catch his breath.  Poor sweet baby Matthew.

Our ENT visited us at 6a this morning.  His assessment is that Matthew looks good, sounds bad, but a little less bad than 2 days ago.  He recommended another dose of steroids and keeping Matthew on the breathing treatments every 3 hours.  We will definitely be staying here at TCH for another day. If Matthew is still here Friday, the ENT will likely take him to the OR to take a better look at his throat.  Oh please, oh please don't let us be here Friday!

Some random notes from our visit so far:
*Matthew is practicing clapping his hand together.  He won't clap with me yet, but he's getting there!
*With the amazing amount of steroids in Matthew's system, he's going to have to postpone his pro-ball career ambitions for now.
*Hospital food is still not good, and it disappoints me this is the food they feed to the kids who need to get better/be healthy. 
*Every time I shower here at the hospital, I am glad that I was able to give birth at a birthing center or at home (no hosptial stays). Oh how I miss my shower from home!
*I hate hearing the sound of life-flight taking off, but I'm thankful we live in a place that has such a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment