Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pay It Forward Day

Today is Pay It Forward dayI love this simple idea! 

Step 1- Do something nice for someone.
Step 2- Expect nothing in return. 
Step 3- Hope that they do something nice for someone else. 

Alyssa celebrated today by gifting some of her Easter candy and pencils to her classmates and an apple to her teacher.  Her friends were overjoyed by the little surprise this morning and it made Alyssa so happy to give them joy. 

The boys and I celebrated by leaving quarters at the machines (riding toys, candy machines, etc) at the various stores we visited.  Jackson wasn't near as jazzed about the idea as Alyssa and I were, but he acquiesced. 

I read about a group of women pooling their money to buy a gift card to a coffee house, giving it to the barista, with the instructions to use it on everyone who comes in until the card runs out and to hand out the 'pay it forward' notes instead of a receipt.  The group sat back, drank their coffee, and watched as the happiness spread.  What a great idea!  I would have loved to do that, but Jackson really isn't into sitting at a coffee shop for very long.  I needed to break it down to a preschoolers version and I couldn't think of a better way than leaving quarters at the kid coveted machines so others can enjoy.

Every day should be pay it forward day, and today was a nice reminder that the little things do matter.  Plus it feels so good to give to others!  (Especially considering all we have been given!)

2 comments:

  1. Next time we are together, let's do that. I think we'd have fun together at the coffee shop watching! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Ricki said...
    Love your blog. Don't know how I'd keep informed without it. You play it forward each day! I love you.

    ReplyDelete