Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Why I Blog

We originally started this blog just for us, to record the little things going on in our lives that we don't want to forget.  We got busy and stopped doing it...until Matthew was admitted into the NICU at 2 days old. 

At that time we had told our family and a few friends that Matthew was born with some very unique characteristics, but we didn't know really how to tell everyone.  In those very scary first hours in the hospital, I wrote up what I wanted to tell our friends and family. I contemplated sending it via email and then thought...the blog.  I'll post to the blog and that will keep the email traffic down. 

Over that 8 days in the NICU, we realized the great value of the blog. It served as our main communication tool with our friends and family as information came fast and furious. It helped us organize our thoughts. It was a great place to keep track of all the information we were getting.  After we left the hospital, I contemplated whether to keep posting.  I decided that even though life had calmed down a bit, the blog still served all of those purposes.  And there have been times in the past year plus where life was a little more chaotic, and in those times, blogging made me take a deep breath and think "how will I explain this to others".  Blogging has helped me process all that has gone on. 

I get a report in the stats about how people find our blog through search.  Every time I see that someone has found us by looking up '4Q chromosome duplication', I rejoice.  I love that we have a record of our family life this past 14 months, but more so, I'm glad to be telling Matthew's story.  Being that he is 1 of 2 in the world known with his particular chromosome duplication (and probably only 1 out of 100s with a duplication on 4Q), I wish there was more information.  How I would love to know more about other children with 4Q.  I'm glad Matthew's story is out there for others to see.

I'm always humbled to find out that people actually read the blog.  Thank you for continuing to follow along our journey with Matthew (and Alyssa and Jackson too). We are so very appreciative of the love and support we've been given! 

2 comments:

  1. I love that you blog.....it's like your own little journal of what life has been keeping you busy doing, but it's also a place to vent, share, get encouragement, and for people to know how to pray for you. It's also wonderful for others that might be doing through someone similar to know that they're not the only ones. Keep it up, Katie! Much love!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband, Richard Warriner, and Darren went to high school together and when we heard about little Mattie (via Facebook) I was immediately praying for your family. I read your blog every week and have enjoyed the education as well as the fine examples of being a medical advocate for your children. I'm learning a lot from you, Katie! Thanks for putting your emotions and experiences out there for others to learn from. I look forward to meeting you all at a Katy Taylor HS reunion someday!

    Rebecca Warriner

    ReplyDelete