Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dragon Mom

I recently read an article penned by a mom who has a little boy with a fatal rare genetic disorder.  Although Matthew's future (we hope) is not the same as the little boy's in the article, the article resonated with me when I first read it and it still does today.  Two of the most powerful quotes: 

"We are dragon parents: fierce and loyal and loving as hell. Our experiences have taught us how to parent for the here and now, for the sake of parenting, for the humanity implicit in the act itself, though this runs counter to traditional wisdom and advice."
  
Parent for the here and now, for the humanity implicit in the act itself--I really need to do a better job of doing this for all 3 of our kids!

"Parents who, particularly in this country, are expected to be superhuman, to raise children who outpace all their peers, don’t want to see what we see. The long truth about their children, about themselves: that none of it is forever."

Although I came to this harsh truth in the dark hours of that second morning after Matthew's birth, and I was reminded of this countless times through Matthew's first year, as more time passes since those scary days, I forget how very thankful we should be for the gift of today.  For that is all we have been promised--today.  Thank you God for the gift of today!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment