Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What a Difference

My goodness...what a difference a year makes!

As I was holding and playing with Matthew in his costume last night, I couldn't help but be struck by how improved life is this year compared to last year. Last year, Matthew was still not sleeping through the night. He was much more lethargic.  He wasn't sitting up on his own, much less standing up.  He was just a few weeks into his recovery from heart surgery and just a month away from skull surgery.  This year--so much better!

I was struck by the enormity of this difference just last week as well. I took the health assessment through Darren's work, that is required during annual insurance enrollment. Last year I scored a 37...out of 100.  It said I was at extreme risk of depression.  No kidding!  I feared that my baby Matthew would die!  What a difference a year makes.  This year, I scored a 91.  This year is so much better!  Right now, I don't fear for Matthew's life. His heart is healthy. He's active. He's developing.  The only foreseeable surgery is for his hands, to improve his quality of life! Such a difference!

I have no idea what the future holds for Matthew (or for all of us for that matter)....but for now, I am so very thankful for this good time!!

1 comment:

  1. Matthew is here to teach everyone a lesson in patience. He is his own person and will do things when he is ready. You are a wonderful woman and mother. You are one of the strongest people I know.

    ReplyDelete