Friday, August 10, 2012

Nervous Energy

I have a plethora of nervous energy right now.   

In about 36 hours (Sunday morning), I will be competing in my first (and likely last) sprint triathlon (300 yard swim, 11 mile bike, 3 mile run).  I use the word "compete" in the loosest of terms.  I have 2 goals-- (1) don't drown and (2) cross the finish line.  There is a good chance I will come in last, but I am okay with that. The whole purpose of signing up for this race was to keep me exercising during the summer, and it has done that.  So, this triathlon has already achieved its stated purpose, but I'm still planning on racing.  Otherwise it would be pretty anticlimactic after all of this training, and an unintended benefit, the triathlon is distracting me from the next event.

24 hours after the triathlon (Monday morning), Matthew will likely have his venogram.  This is an exploratory procedure to find out why his feet have been swelling.  The interventional radiologist and cardiologist suspect that it may be due to smaller than typical veins leading from his legs to his heart.  I don't know what I was envisioning when the doctor explained the procedure to me originally, but I'm finding out that this is definitely an invasive procedure. Although I have extreme anxiety about Matthew undergoing anesthesia yet again, I fear the thought of him having to have an extremity amputated down the road even more (which is a worst case scenario down the road if we don't figure this out).  We are praying that the procedure is picture perfect and the doctors are able to quickly identify and fix any issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment