Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dysmorphic


I was reading over the urologist's shoulder two weeks ago, looking at Matthew’s file, and saw “patient has dysmorphic facial features indicative of genetic disorder.”  I know this is medical speak, but it was heartbreaking to see in print. When I look at Matthew, I see my sweet baby.  I no longer see his differences.  I don’t see his hands with no thumbs, I see his sweet little fingers that rub my arm as he eats.  I see his cute dimples and that huge grin.  I see the beautiful blue eyes and long eyelashes. I see his cute, little unique ears.  I’ve stopped noticing that he’s different, but seeing this doctor’s comment in print was a harsh reminder that others will see Matthew as different.  I pray that the world will see beyond his differences and see him as the unique, amazing kid that he is.  
Matthew 6 months

No comments:

Post a Comment