Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Perfect Partner

Darren and I are alike in many ways, but in a few we are complete opposites.  As it relates to our fears for Matthew, we are opposite and compliment each other well.  I'm afraid of the short term...what does the next week hold?  what will be the unexpected surprise after surgery?  will they pull us into one of the family rooms to give us the ultimate bad news?  As my foil, Darren is completely calm about the short term.  He knows in his heart that all will be okay.  I wish I had his optimism! 

Now, long term is different story.  Darren worries about what life will be like for Matthew, either being developmentally delayed or disabled.  Matthew is already delayed, missing many current developmental milestones.  I see how nervous this makes Darren.  As Darren's foil, I typically do not fear the future. I know we will address every need Matthew may have, and we'll find a way to cope with every unexpected.  Though I do freak out about his development on occasion, I mostly just pray we get a future with Matthew!

Neither of us are perfect (far from it), but Darren is my perfect partner.  I feel unbelievably fortunate to have the right partner to navigate Matthew's journey.   I'm thankful he is Daddy to my kids.  This past 9 months have tested us in many ways.  We have had to tag-team parent more than we would like.  We sometimes fight about stupid stuff when we are overstressed.  But I feel very fortunate to have him at my side, to serve as my foil and me his. For my perfect partner, I am very thankful!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Karie. This is what a marriage should be, and you're a perfect example of the balance, and work, it takes. May God continue to Bless your family, calm both your fears, and bring Joy to you during the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. katie and darren, God had his hand in your unity for a reason. Parenting was part of it. I am thankful to Him for bringing you together; becoming parents to A, J and M, and being servants to others when you can in Christ's name. You both are truly called for something very important.

    I love you all.

    Blessings and Love. Prayers for surgery in the a.m.

    ReplyDelete