Friday, December 10, 2010

Recovery Day 4

Yesterday at 4pm, I buckled Matthew into his car seat and got behind the wheel to take him home.  I sat there and shook for 5 minutes.  I just couldn't believe it. Before surgery, I had thought that Matthew had about a 50/50 chance of not making it through surgery and recovery.  The mortality rate for the surgery is not near that high, but knowing Matthew's history and the invasiveness of the surgery, I was quite scared.  And rightfully so, as I learned from the anesthesiologist yesterday, there were some rocky moments in the OR. But here it was, 3 days after surgery and I was taking my sweet baby home!  If I had to guess the likelihood Matthew would be going home on the early end of the hospital stay estimate, I would have guessed less than 1%.  But here we are...home! 

Matthew still has a lot of healing to do.  His forehead and scalp are quite swollen and he still looks like he lost a fight with Mike Tyson.  He doesn't yet look like himself and he's not out of the woods completely, but we can see the clearing.  Last night, he slept 8 hours straight and didnt need pain meds for almost 12 hours.  He's been talkative, smiling and acting like our sweet baby Matthew.  I couldn't feel more thankful, luckier or more blessed!
Matthew 4 days post surgery
We are so thankful for the notes of encouragement, the food, the company, the texts and messages during Matthew's hospital stay.  We never felt alone and are so very grateful--Thank you!  Also, thank you for the continued prayers and positive thoughts for Matthew's continued healing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment